Friday 15 February 2013

Gaming within Education?

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi is a Hungarian professor who discovered a 'flow'- the flow is the point where your challenges meet your skills. When someone is in the state of 'flow', they are in a state of concentration or are completely involved in what they are doing that nothing else seems to matter. 
The following is a diagram that shows the state of flow- 

The diagram shows that in order to be in the state of 'flow' our minds need to have a balance between boredom and anxiety/panic. I agree with this concept- no one likes to do things that are too simple as it can get boring very quickly. However no one likes doing things too difficult as it can stress us out and give us anxiety. This proves how the flow can come into education. If you are given a task which is easy you will do it and be bored, but if you are given a 2000 word essay due in a week, you get anxiety and begin to panic. 

I believe that the flow is a good idea, and probably does work on a lot of people. However I don't believe that it works with me. I personally believe I can only really be in the 'flow' if I am enjoying what I am doing. It doesn't matter how difficult or simple the task at hand may be, if I am not interested in it I can not get into the flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment