Monday 4 February 2013

Inanimate Alice

According to the Inanimate Alice website (www.inanimatealice.co.uk), Inanimate Alice is 'created as a reading-from-the-screen experience for the digital generation'. It says that is 'requires the reader to drive the action forward at their own pace' as well as encouraging 'reading to co-create their own versions of the story'.

Inanimate Alice was originally designed solely for entertainment purposes, however it has recently been taken in by teachers in order to help students digital literacy skills develop. Inanimate Alice is available in French, German, Italian and Spanish as well as English.

During a Digital Culture lesson at University, we were asked to try out Inanimate Alice in order to see what we thought of it:

After going through 3/4 of the stories on Inanimate Alice, it did lead me to wonder what it is actually hoping to achieve? Personally to me, it just seemed like stories online that involved you clicked the 'Next' button in order to turn the page. Saying this, I know that when I was younger and in school I would have loved Inanimate Alice in order to read stories. However, I do not understand the main point of Inanimate Alice and how it will actually help children to learn at school.

Inanimate Alice is quick and extremely easy to use and understand. Maybe it is just me, but I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment